a non-profit organization created to promote awareness, support, and research of Adolescent Thyroid Diseases.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Doctors....times, they are a changin'

So a few days ago I got a phone call from my mom - she sounded rather frantic and she freaked me out, but it turned out it wasn't as bad as my first instincts thought......well maybe? A little less then a year ago my old endocrinologist from Miami would no longer take care of me since I hadn't physically seen him in a year (the 3 hour drive was just not happening) and I was having difficulties that my primary no longer felt comfortable handling. That being said she was able to recommend an endocrinologist here in town for me, and the best part? I loved him! My mom loved him so much that when we left she set up an appointment immediately for herself.

Now you all must be asking what the problem may be? Well we got a letter in the mail the other day telling us that as of August 19th our endocrinologist would no longer be practicing. Oddly enough I am not nearly as freaked as my mom only because I have been through this so often with myself that I know what to tell doctors to look for with my labs, but for her they are still trying to get her straightened out.....which means this just sucks!!

Today I went to my primary doctor and was talking to her about. She explained to me that it was because of the way insurance laws are currently she spends more time doing paperwork then she does seeing patients - kind of defeats the purpose of being a doctor, no? The way things are set up today just sucks. There is no other way to put it. My husband lost his neurologist because she decided to just work in the hospital instead of regular office settings.

I am for change with the medical system and insurance - BIG TIME!! And I know they are trying but enough just isn't being done. We are loosing wonderful doctors. And then many can't even get insurance. My husband can't get different insurance due to existing medical conditions. Myself? The same I am sure. Currently I am on my parents insurance until January....after January? No clue. I'm scared. I have been trying to get a job that will give me benefits, but it's hard. Right now I work for my mom and am getting my second masters, I want to be able to finish my masters because in the long run it will be beneficial....but I need a job - really I want a job in my field - it's just all so overwhelming...

Ok that's my vent for now....in the meantime hopefully I find another endo I like, if not maybe it's time for me to go to medical school?

No comments:

Post a Comment